Thursday, August 19, 2010

Parking Enforcement


Santa Barbara is small enough (90,000 city, 200,000 metro) that its parking situation isn't particularly dire. I don't actually own a car, so I lack first-hand knowledge of this, but it certainly seems acceptable. Nevertheless, you can spot these little half-track-looking things zipping around town all day long. The term "meter maids" is not, alas, unwarranted: most of the Parking Enforcement officers who emerge from them appear to be middle-aged women.

Is it their very efforts that make the place so parkingly available, or are they effectively just for show? These are the heated chicken-and-egg discussions being hashed out in the Santa Barbara City Council even as we speak. If you don't believe me, just watch City TV 18. Watch it, for I am unable; I addition to lacking a car, I lack a television. (Got a rice cooker, though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment